A couple of weeks have passed now since I saw transformers: revenge of that bay motherfucker so I think I'm just about calm enough to give a fairly balanced review of the latest big summer release - John dillinger biopic Public Enemies. On paper this should be just about the best movie ever made. It's about gangsters, which everyone loves; it stars Johnny Depp, who everyone loves; it stars Christian Bale who everyone loves despite being a massive dickhead; And it's directed by Michael Mann who is one of the best directors Hollywood has to offer, although he does use blue filters a bit too much. If you follow the movie press you'll know this has been hyped up the wazoo aswell. So does it live up to its massive potential I hear you ask. Well, nearly but not quite. It's beautifully shot in glorious hi-def, and Depp absolutely sparkles as the infamous depression era bank robber. Although I do enjoy a good gangster movie I generally try my best not to like the main characters as they are invariably scumbags doing what scumbags do. With Public enemies though it is impossible to hate Dillinger. Depp is just too damn cool. It is easy to hate his psycho friends though. If Dillinger was really that badass in life then good luck to him robbing all the banks he wanted too.
On the other side we have Christian Bale as Melvin Purvis, the agent assigned with taking down Dillinger and his cronies. Recently I've found myself disliking Bale more and more. Not because of his off-screen antics, but he seems to be going through what I will call Ed Norton syndrome; ie a well respected actor getting too big for their boots, and phoning in performances under the presumption that it's going to be amazing just because it's them. With that in mind, Bale is actually fine in the role, but he never really sets the screen alight. Perhaps the character has been underwritten, or maybe there was nothing much to write about in the first place. Either way it's a competent performance but it isn't going to change my views on the man one way or the other.
At this point I realise I haven't mentioned the plot at all, the reason being there honestly isn't much of one to talk about. John Dillinger robs a few banks, Melvin Purvis pursues him. There's a couple of jailbreaks and there's a love interest. That's really it. But don't let this put you off. This is still a very good film. All the robberies and shoot-outs (and there are many) are expertly done.
All the supporting parts are well played (in particular Stephen Graham as the insane Baby-Face Nelson), and although it is rather long it never drags for a second. From a historical standpoint I have no idea how accurate it is. I know John Dillinger had a somewhat Robin Hood like image and this is played upon so the audience can actually like the main character. From the cops perspective it is interesting to watch the beginnings of the FBI built by J. Edgar Hoover.
As a whole, Public Enemies is a hugely enjoyable movie. On reading over what I have written I feel I may have been too negative as I can't recall a moment while watching where I felt bored in the slightest, or thought the acting was bad, or thought the script to be cheesy. Michael Mann has once again proven he is a master behind the camera, and a star turn from Depp as the charismatic criminal elevates the film to a level which the source material may not really deserve. Definitely one of the better films of the year so far. Does it deserve the instant classic label which has been thrust upon it? Not quite, but it's damn good regardless.
On the other side we have Christian Bale as Melvin Purvis, the agent assigned with taking down Dillinger and his cronies. Recently I've found myself disliking Bale more and more. Not because of his off-screen antics, but he seems to be going through what I will call Ed Norton syndrome; ie a well respected actor getting too big for their boots, and phoning in performances under the presumption that it's going to be amazing just because it's them. With that in mind, Bale is actually fine in the role, but he never really sets the screen alight. Perhaps the character has been underwritten, or maybe there was nothing much to write about in the first place. Either way it's a competent performance but it isn't going to change my views on the man one way or the other.
At this point I realise I haven't mentioned the plot at all, the reason being there honestly isn't much of one to talk about. John Dillinger robs a few banks, Melvin Purvis pursues him. There's a couple of jailbreaks and there's a love interest. That's really it. But don't let this put you off. This is still a very good film. All the robberies and shoot-outs (and there are many) are expertly done.
All the supporting parts are well played (in particular Stephen Graham as the insane Baby-Face Nelson), and although it is rather long it never drags for a second. From a historical standpoint I have no idea how accurate it is. I know John Dillinger had a somewhat Robin Hood like image and this is played upon so the audience can actually like the main character. From the cops perspective it is interesting to watch the beginnings of the FBI built by J. Edgar Hoover.
As a whole, Public Enemies is a hugely enjoyable movie. On reading over what I have written I feel I may have been too negative as I can't recall a moment while watching where I felt bored in the slightest, or thought the acting was bad, or thought the script to be cheesy. Michael Mann has once again proven he is a master behind the camera, and a star turn from Depp as the charismatic criminal elevates the film to a level which the source material may not really deserve. Definitely one of the better films of the year so far. Does it deserve the instant classic label which has been thrust upon it? Not quite, but it's damn good regardless.
No comments:
Post a Comment